Thanks to guest blogger Kasey Fahey, senior public relations major and student assistant at Flash Communications, for providing this post about the upcoming YouToo Social Media Conference. Kasey shares how she and the Flash team are helping with online promotion and media relations. Flash is working closely with Jennifer Kramer in the College of Communication and Information, along with the 2012 YouToo Planning Committee to make the event a success. This year’s focus is mobile and measurement. Be sure to register now for the event on Friday, April 13.
For the past two months, Flash Communications has been hard at work on the 2012 YouToo Social Media Conference. We have been working side-by-side with other committee members to ensure that the fifth annual conference is just as successful as the first. Here’s a peek at what Ryan Collins and I have been up to:
- Wrote scripts for the conference opening, welcome remarks, room managers and speaker introductions
- Pitched more than 25 bloggers, newspapers, magazines and speakers to gain more conference coverage and audience outreach
- Wrote two press releases and distributed them to local media
- Arranged for students to create multimedia elements during the conference
- Arranged for students to act as media liaisons and live-Tweet during the conference
- Updated the conference website including organizing sponsors and speaker bios and building a newsroom and conference schedule
- Reserved the Kent State University banner for the conference day
I currently serve as the assistant to coordinator Stefanie Moore at Flash Communications. I’m also the account supervisor for a communications campaign for AkronReads for the senior seminar campaigns course. I will graduate in August 2012 after interning at Lief & Karson Communications and Ashtabula County Medical Center this summer.
Ryan was recently elected as the online media manager for PRSSA Kent. He was also a member of the 2012 PRSSA Bateman Case Study Competition. Ryan graduates in May 2013, and he is the author of the blog Not Straight Up.
So, do you plan to attend?